It seems as if the do-it-yourself days are numbered. Busy families and workplaces make time one of our most valued assets. However, there are occasions when, even if you could do it yourself, you shouldn’t:
- Remodeling or moving plumbing might require a permit. Professional plumbing companies know exactly what the building codes are for your city and state.
- The shower valve (not the handle) controls hot and cold water. Don’t take the chance on damaging your shower walls. It’s time to call your plumber.
- If sewage backs up into the shower, it may be a problem with the main line. Only a professional plumber has the expertise and specialized equipment to make the fix.
- Any water heater repair requires a plumber, because so many things can go wrong during the repair process.
An article provided by the Houston, Texas Better Business Bureau (BBB) (https://www.bbb.org/houston/industry-tips/read/tip/how-to-choose-a-plumbing-company-26) offers some tips to selecting the right plumbing company for your home or business.
- All plumbers are required to be licensed by the state. Request proof of licensing. Ask for verification of workman’s comp and liability insurance.
- How long has this company been in business? Is this company a valued business within your city and community? Stability and commitment to the area in which your plumbers also live and work is indicative of excellent service.
- Quotes are clear, concise, and worst-case-scenario based, whether it’s a time-and-materials or a flat-rate quote. In other words, your plumbing company doesn’t throw any curveballs and if possible, will bring the job in under the quote. There should not be additional fees for equipment, etc. That should be included in the quote.
- If the plumbing company contractor mentions how swamped they are or can’t start your job in a timely manner . . . or the time quoted to finish the job seems a bit lengthy, run, don’t walk! Of course, this does not apply to local and state emergencies, like hurricane and flood damage, when plumbing companies are inundated with hapless victims’ requests for assistance.
- Is your plumbing company knowledgeable about energy-saving, green plumbing options? The answer should be, “Yes!” Going green will lower your water bill, and there are tax incentives for installing solar water heaters. Then, there’s the main reason to go green: We want to clean up and preserve our environment.
- Your plumbing company should not be limited to a few brands; they should be able to work with whatever name-brand you want. For example, you may prefer Grohe fixtures for your bathroom or kitchen. If your plumbing company cannot assist you with that brand, then it’s not your plumbing company. Whatever brand you or your plumber chooses, make sure the fixtures have the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) and/or National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) stamps.
- Your plumbing company should be able to provide a warranty for service; perhaps one for fixtures and one for installation labor.
- Reputable plumbing companies belong to trade organizations, like PHCC (Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors) and the BBB or Chamber of Commerce.
- Word of mouth matters. Ask your neighbors, business associates and friends what plumbing company they recommend, based on their experiences.
At Reliable Plumbing, we care enough to be available to you 24 hours a day, every day. Our residential, commercial, and industrial clients are our friends and neighbors in Baton Rouge. Call 225-929-9510 or contact us (https://reliableplumbinginc.com/contact.php) for additional information.